We’re invited to a dinner party tonight. I just made this Chicken Liver Mousse from the Cooking Channel’s special Chuckmas show with Chef Chuck Hughes. While there are quite a few steps and separate preparations to make this dish (although not as many as it takes to make a Beef Wellington old style), it’s not very difficult…and oh so delicious served with crackers or rye bread. (Call ahead to your supermarket or butcher to see if they have chicken livers in stock, I didn’t and wound up driving to three stores until I found one that had them in!)
Chicken Liver Pate
Recipe courtesy Chuck Hughes
- Total Time: 2 hr 45 min
- Yield: 4 cups (1 l)
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup/60 ml olive oil, plus more if needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds/675 g chicken livers, trimmed
- 2 small carrots, cooked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Bread, toast or crackers, for serving
In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onions in half of the olive oil until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Remove half of the onions from the skillet and set aside. Add the remaining olive oil and continue cooking over high heat until the onions are crispy and golden brown; add more olive oil if necessary. Drain on paper towels, season with salt and pepper and set aside for garnish.
In a small pot of salted simmering water, poach the chicken livers for 5 minutes on low heat. Drain on paper towels.
In a food processor, puree the livers with the carrots, 2 hard-boiled eggs and the caramelized onions until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add nutmeg. Push through a fine mesh sieve if desired.
Pack the mousse into a serving dish and smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Garnish with the crispy onions and grate the remaining 2 hard-boiled eggs right before serving. Serve with bread, toasts or crackers.
- Saffron risotto with goose liver pâté recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Holiday Recipe: Jaci’s Rumaki (wdok.radio.com)
- In Place of Foie Gras – Try This … (cliftonkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Chicken liver pate (shewolfinthevalley.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Liver Pate (threecleversisters.com)